Mooncake Festival commonly known to be the traditional and snowskin mooncake. But did you know this multi-layered mooncake is also quite famous in the market too? Especially with the layerings and colour. What is special about this is that we will be putting boba into the paste and then wrap with the layered dough.
- 110 g All Purpose Flour
- 20 g Chek Hup Coffee Rock Sugar
- 40 g Shortening
- 50 ml Water
- 100 g All Purpose Flour
- 50 g Butter
- 200 g Lotus Paste (50g Each)
- ½ tbsp Cooked Boba
- Food Colouring
- In a large mixing bowl, mix flour with Chek Hup Coffee Rock Sugar. Rub the shortening into the flour mixture. It will feel crumbly.
- Gradually add the water and continue to mix and knead until you form a non-sticky dough. Cover and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Rub the butter into the flour until it forms a smooth dough. Add food coloring and knead until the color is even. Cover and let the dough rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide water dough into 6 portions. Divide the colored dough into 4 colours.
- Flatten the water dough and roll into a round circle. Place 4 different colors of oil dough on top of the water dough. Wrap the water dough around the oil dough. So the oil dough is nested inside the water dough now.
- Work with one dough at a time. Use a rolling pin to roll this dough into a flat oval shape. Roll it up from the side and then flatten into a long log. Roll it up into a Swiss roll. Flip to its side and cut into half.
- Place the cut-side facing down. Use a rolling pin to roll it out into a circle, about 7-inch in width and place the lotus paste on top with boba inside the filling. Gather the sides to wrap the filling. Pinch to seal at the bottom.
- Bake it at 180c for 30 mins or until the bottom is golden brown.
Tips and guides:
- While rolling out the water dough and oil dough, if it gets sticky, lightly dust it with some flour to maintain the layers.
- You can put salted egg yolk to replace the boba. Or any mooncake paste of your own choice (baking time will be the same)
- Best to eat it while it is warm, as the pastries will be soft and flaky.
Did you love this information?
We hope this useful information will be helpful in your baking & cooking journey.
Do not miss out on the previous topics: HOMESOY Snowskin Mooncake