Swissroll cakes are fun to do but also quite hard to nail it right because of the rolling method required. In order to achieve that, all you need to have is a very moist genoise sponge cake. As you all may know, egg based cakes are the most durable of all. (It’s ok if you didn’t know though, hahaha). Thus, it is 100% recommended to search for a recipe that is using egg based cake.
There are 2 rolling methods. One is to roll it first without the filling and let it cool. This method I will not recommend, because the probability for you to break your cake during the application of frosting is high. Another method is normal rolling, where you spread the frosting first and then roll. However, this method will test you on portioning your frosting. You might end up with a good slice or a slice that is too big and thick. So play around with the frosting to find out the best amount needed.
- 1 1/4 cup Flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 cup White sugar for egg yolk mixture
- 1/3 cup White sugar for egg white meringue
- 2 tsp Corn syrup
- 6 Eggs whites and yolks sperated
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp Water
- 1/3 cup Butter
- Sift all of the dry ingredients.
- Combine corn syrup and egg white then beat until a stiff peak.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolk until it is fluffy and pale.
- Add in water and vanilla
- Sift in the dry ingredients into the egg yolk bowl batch by batch.
- Once all of the dried ingredients has been folded into egg yolk mixture, scoop the egg white little by little and fold it in.
- Repeat until it is finished and add melted butter.
- Give it a quick fold.
- Transfer in onto a baking tray lined with parchment and bake in a 200c oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Once it is fully baked, let it cool on a wire rack.
- Spread filling of your choice and quickly but gently roll the cake.
Let us know if you try out this recipe Perfect Swiss Roll Cake — tag us on social media @myweekendplan or leave a comment below!.
Why this recipe is great? It’s a very light and simple, yet delicious cake.
Did you love this information? Give us a review~
We would like to invite you to join our New Private Community Group! Here you are free to ask questions, share your baked food, and explore the baking tips! We are a fun and friendly bunch that loves helping each other when it comes to baking!