What is a bombolone? A bombolone or as we spell it, Bomboloni, is an Italian filled doughnut that is used as both a snack and dessert. This sweet dessert is piped with various pastry cream and fillings. You could probably make a bomboloni with a different filling for a whole month and not get bored of this treat! Follow this recipe to get a piece of this sugary dish today.
- Stand Mixer
- 2 ½ -inch round cookie cutter
- Add milk to the stand mixer bowl and sprinkle yeast on top. Allow it to activate for 5 minutes before mixing it with the other ingredients. Whisk together the sugar, oil, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Slowly add the flour, butter, and pinch of salt into the mixture. Mix the dough on speed 2 of the stand-mixer until everything is well combined. Knead the dough for about 7 minutes, or until it is smooth and elastic.
- On a clean work surface, knead the dough several times and shape it into a ball. Place it into a lightly greased bowl and roll the dough around to lightly coat it with the oil. Cover with plastic wrap and leave it aside at room temperature for about 2 to 3 hours until the size has tripled.
- Knead the dough a couple of times and roll it out to ¼ – ⅓ inch thick and cut about 6 rounds of dough out with a cookie cutter.
- Place the cut dough on a lined baking sheet, then cover with plastic wrap and leave it to rise for about 1 hour.
- Fill a pot with vegetable oil and heat to 170°C to 175°C. Drop the doughnuts in carefully and start frying. Turn them a few times and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Remove the fried doughnuts and transfer them to a plate lined with a paper towel. Then, roll them immediately in a bowl of sugar. Make sure to coat the entire doughnut.
- Let the doughnuts cool a little before making an indentation at the side using a wooden spoon. Fill the doughnut with a pastry cream or any filling of your choice using a piping bag, serve and enjoy!
Recipe credit: Have Halal Will Travel