What a thick, sweet concoction! No need to get out of the house when you’re out of condensed milk! Simply grab your milk, sugar and baking soda to whip up your own homemade condensed milk!
Condensed Milk Recipe
- 500 ml Whole Milk
- 140 g Sugar
- A Pinch of Baking Soda
- Stir as you heat it at medium heat until the sugar fully dissolves.
- Lower the heat to low heat and let it simmer for around 30 minutes.
- Remove the foam at the edges.
- Add baking soda and stir it.
- Simmer it for another 10 minutes until it thickens.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool down。
- Simmer the milk mixture, not boil. Boiling will cause the milk to thicken too much.
- To ensure that the milk is simmering (not boiling), the milk will have small gentle bubbles on the top layer.
- Removing the foam (also known as scum) will form smoother, cleaner condensed milk. The foam is actually impurities coming out of the milk.
- Don’t thicken the condensed milk too much when it’s boiling as it will also thicken as it cools down.
- You can use high heat to boil the milk but make sure to stir it continuously.
- Keep scraping the sides and the bottom of the pot to prevent clumping of milk fat.
- Baking soda can help to thicken the condensed milk more efficiently and give it a creamy texture.
Did you love this information? Give us a review~
We hope this useful information will be helpful in your baking journey.
Do not miss out on the previous topics: Homemade Tofu