Image Credit : bangkokattractions
So we called up our ‘Ipoh-ren’ (people born in Ipoh) buddies to ask them for great food suggestions before we go on our food hunt in Ipoh. Here are some that we got that you should totally check out next time you’re visiting Ipoh.
1. Dim Sum @ Ming Court Hong Kong Dim Sum
Dim Sum restaurants are always popular due to their varieties they offer, and Ming Court Hong Kong Dim Sum does that and more! They have so much to choose from and even offer delicious sweet treats like egg tarts and pau!
The texture of their dim sum, cheong fun and all are incredibly perfect. Plus, they are all handmade! You can see the aunties in action, sitting at the back making them. (Aunty please teach me to make it as good as you!)
P/S: In Malaysia, all elderly people we meet outside are called ‘uncle’ or ‘aunties’ as a form of respect and friendliness hehe!
As a fan of Mua Chi, the Chinese version of ‘Mochi’, I was so delighted to have these! The peanut topping was generously given too.
Be sure to go earlier to get a seat. Try to avoid peak times as this place is always packed!
Address: 36, Jalan Leong Sin Nam, Kampung Jawa, 30300 Ipoh, Negeri Perak
Other honorable mentions if you want Dim Sum:
- Restaurant Foh San (Address: 51, Jalan Leong Sin Nam, 30300 Ipoh, Perak)
- Restoran Chooi Yue Dim Sum (Address: 2, 4 & 6, Tingkat Taman Ipoh 12, Taman Ipoh Selatan, 31400 Ipoh, Perak)
2. Curry Mee @ Lim Curry Laksa
Love Laksa? Love Siham (Cockles)? – This is the place you gotta go. The laksa is spicy and incredibly savoury thanks to the generous amount of siham. This thick curry with noodles will be a combo that is just so satisfying.
It’s not a restaurant, instead it’s a small house that is used as a family run business. Very well known by the locals – be sure to quickly get a parking spot and grab your seat. You may need to wait after being given a number, but it will be worth it.
Address: 893, Persiaran Bercham Timur 1, Kampung Bercham, 31400 Ipoh, Perak
Other honorable mentions if you want Curry Mee:
- Yee Fatt Dry Curry Noodles (Address: 39, Jalan Kampar, 31650 Ipoh, Negeri Perak)
- Restaurant Moon De Moon (Address: 148, Hala Wah Keong, Taman Mirindi, 31400 Ipoh, Negeri Perak)
- Restoran Xin Quan Fang (Address: 174, Jalan Sultan Iskandar, Taman Jubilee, 30000 Ipoh, Negeri Perak)
3. Cendol @ Cendol Wawasan
So if you wanna cool off the heat, try some Cendol! It is a dessert that contains the following main ingredients; green rice flour jelly, coconut milk and palm sugar syrup. Variations are then made by adding red beans, corn, durian or even Nata de Coco!
The uncle lets you customize the toppings as you please here. (I took extra Nata de coco cause I’m extra like that hahaha) The humble stall is located right opposite a Shell Gas Station.
Address: Taman Tasek Indra, 31400 Ipoh, Perak
Other honorable mentions if you want Cendol:
- Wawasan Cendol Abang Kacak (Address: 8, Jalan Yang Kalsom, Taman Jubilee, 30300 Ipoh, Perak)
- Deen CT Corner Cendol (Address: 21 B, Jalan Musthara Al Bakri, Taman Jubilee, 30300 Ipoh, Negeri Perak)
4. Ipoh White Coffee and Caramel Pudding @ Restoran Thean Chun
This place is super popular for its Caramel Pudding. It’s incredibly gentle and sweet (just like your sweetheart haha).
Tea time is about to get better with iced coffee, and when in Ipoh, you gotta drink their famous Ipoh White Coffee!
Address: 73, Jalan Bandar Timah, 31650 Ipoh, Negeri Perak
5. Ipoh White Coffee and Kaya with Butter Toast @ Sin Yoon Loong
This is another great place to get your Ipoh White Coffee fix. Like every kopitiam visit, it will not be complete without Kaya and Butter toast, so get a plate of it here. You will get to enjoy a hearty meal at a very cheap price.
Address: 15A, Jalan Bandar Timah, 30000 Ipoh, Negeri Perak
6. Tauge Ayam (Chicken Rice with Bean Sprouts) @ Restoran Tauge Ayam Lou Wong
The bean sprouts in Ipoh have always been a thing due to it’s awesome crunch and taste. What’s even better is that it is served with some splendid chicken rice.
You will see how Lou Wong’s bean sprouts have just the right size and juiciness with every bite.
Address: 49, Jalan Yau Tet Shin, Taman Jubilee, 30000 Ipoh, Perak
Other honorable mentions if you want Tauge Ayam:
- Cowan Street Ayam Tauge & Koitiau Restaurant (Address: 44, Jalan Raja Ekram, Kampung Jawa, 31350 Ipoh, Perak)
- Ong Kee Bean Sprouts Chicken Restaurant (Address: 48, Jalan Yau Tet Shin Taman Jubilee 30000, Ipoh, Perak)
- Restaurant Sam Ma (Address: 3, Jalan S. A. Lingam, Taman Ipoh Selatan, 31400 Ipoh, Negeri Perak)
- Yoon Kee Bean Sprouts Chicken (Address: No 23, Medan Selera Stadium Ipoh, 31400 Ipoh, Perak)
- Restaurant Ayam Tauke (Address: 849, Jalan Guntong, Guntong, 30100 Ipoh, Perak)
7. Tau Fu fa @ Funny Mountain Soya Beancurd
I would go here again and again. Their Tau Fu Fa is so smoother than anything i’ve ever touched! It’s perfect for those with a sweet tooth.
For those of you who are unsure what it is exactly, it’s a soya beancurd dessert. It is served warm with syrup poured over it. You can even add toppings like glutinous rice balls, red bean or grass jelly over it.
I’m not sure what’s funny about the mountain but I know there is nothing funny about this Tau Fu Fa – it’s just seriously delicious!
Address: 50, Jalan Mustapa Al-bakri, Taman Jubilee, 30300 Ipoh, Negeri Perak
Other honorable mentions if you want Tau Fu Fa:
- Woong Kee Bean Curd Bercham Ipoh (Address: 291, Jalan Bercham, Taman Desa Kencana, 31400 Ipoh, Perak)
- Big Mom Beancurd (Address: 24, Jalan Yang Kalsom, Taman Jubilee, 30250 Ipoh, Perak)
- Tai Soo Ipoh Famous No.1 Dessert (Address: 24, Jalan Mustapha Al-Bakry, Ipoh Town, 30300 Ipoh, Perak)
- Tau Fu Fah @ Persiaran Bercham Selatan 1 (Address: Ipoh Town Persiaran Bercham Selatan 1, Taman Kencana, Bercham, 31400 Ipoh, Perak)
8. Hakka Mee and Beef Noodle Soup
This place is known for their fine textured Hakka Mee. You can choose between having it served in soup or dry (means the soup will be given on the side). They also have yummy satay that you can order while waiting for your main meals.
Their flavorful beef noodles soup is also a huge hit! It makes you go ‘umph’ with every spoonful. Besides that, they have a wide selection of yong tau foo and fish balls that are made fresh daily.
This place is also packed with people like sardines. But that just shows how good it is!
Other honorable mentions if you want Hakka Mee:
- Paris Restaurant (Address: 190, Jalan Sultan Iskandar, Taman Jubilee, 31650 Ipoh, Perak)
- Restoran Cathay (Address: A17, Jalan Dato Tahwil Azar, Taman Jubilee, 30300 Ipoh, Negeri Perak)
9. Salted Chicken @ Aun Kheng Lim
This restaurant has been and still is the go-to for Salted Chicken! Now you may be wondering what’s so special about a chicken that’s salted? It’s actually mainly about the health benefits and revitalising properties it offers. So why turn down something tasty and healthy at the same time right?
You should know that this is a takeaway place only, and it is on a first come serve basis.
Be sure to not waste the sauce that comes with the wrapped up chicken, cause that’s where all the essence is!
Address: 24, Jalan Theatre, Taman Jubilee, 30300 Ipoh, Perak
10. Gifts Snacks @ Chung Confectionery
If you wanna have a little bit of Ipoh before you head back home. Stop by at Chung Confectionery. It is an enterprise founded by a lovely couple that offers 100% handmade delicacies.
They are known for their sweet Portugese Egg Tarts and Kaya Puffs. Don’t try to pick between one of them, cause you won’t be able to. The both of them are scrumptious! So just get both ahaha! This will be the perfect gift snacks or souvenirs for your loved ones too!
Address: No. 21, Laluan Rasi Jaya 4B, Taman Rasi Jaya 31450 Menglembu, Ipoh, Perak.
Going on food trips and cafe hopping, allows you to discover and enjoy the endless wonders of good food with good people. Go on a food trip now and relish the experience too.
New to baking?
Check out our quick and easy 30 Day Guide for Beginner Bakers
Get amazed with: Top 10 Trendy and Stunning Cakes in 2021
Looking for Tom Yam as hot and spicy as you? Check out 7 Best Tom Yam in Klang Valley
Wanna ‘par-tea’ with boba tea? Check out 10 Most Popular and Tasty Boba Teas in Klang Valley
Looking for Pink Cakes Decorating Ideas? Check out Easy Pink Cake Decorating Ideas For Girls
Finding fried rice recipes that will not disappoint Uncle Roger? Check out 7 Best Easy Fried Rice Recipes
Wanna have good Japanese Food at affordable prices? Check out 7 Best Japanese Restaurants in Klang Valley