Heard of Onde-onde?
There is a variant to it using Bunga Telang also known as Butterfly Pea Flower to create Onde-Onde Bunga Telang.
Pretty right!!! They traditionally look like below.
The traditional one usually has a pandan flavor with palm sugar inside. The blue ones also have palm sugar inside but a different aesthetic to it.
So beautiful ain’t it?!
I’m sure you would like to try it! And good news – it’s actually pretty simple to do!
Here is how you do it!
- 2 cups glutinous rice flour
- 1 cup butterfly pea flower extract / 1 teabag of butterfly pea tea / 5 fresh or dried butterfly pea flowers
- 2 cubes palm sugar (gula melaka)
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- Salt to taste
- If you want to make the butterfly pea flower extract yourself, steam the butterfly pea flowers for a couple of minutes then let it cool. (Skip this step if you already have the extract ready)
2. Once you have prepared the butterfly pea flower extract, add it to the flour and mix well.
3. Take some of the dough and fill it with the palm sugar. Pinch to seal then gently roll it into a ball. Repeat this step till all of the dough is finished. Pro tip: Once the ball has been rolled, place it on an oiled surface to avoid it from sticking.
4. Steam the balls in boiling water till they float up.
5. Fish them out and coat them with the mixture of coconut and salt.
6. Time to enjoy them!