You probably know the most popular types of cheese, mozzarella, cheddar, parmesan. But what about cream cheese? You probably have some in your fridge right now but don’t know much about it. Well, let me give you a brief explanation then. Cream cheese is a soft, mild-tasting fresh cheese made from milk and cream. It became popular in the late 1800s and was produced mostly in Philadelphia, but is now consumed globally and used to make many different desserts. Cream cheese can be bought at the store or made at home. It’s actually quite easy to make some homemade cream cheese, all you need are cream, milk, salt, and lemon juice or vinegar. Homemade cream cheese can last up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator, while the store-bought ones should be used within 10 days. But, we actually have some tips below to help you store your cream cheese for a longer period of time! So read further to find out!
I know you have another question. What is cream cheese actually used for? Well, cream cheese is often used to spread on bread, crackers, bagels, and more. It can also be used as a dip for snacks like potato chips! For baking and cooking, cream cheese can be used for many purposes too. It can be used to make cheesecake, or to help thicken sauces and make them creamy. Cream cheese is sometimes used to replace butter, or for some recipes, it is used together with butter, to make cakes, cookies, and cream cheese frosting. It can even be used to cook mashed potatoes! Aren’t there just so many uses for cream cheese? So, next time if you don’t know how to deal with your frozen cream cheese you can just search up some recipes for it, I’m sure you’ll find something you like. Or, you can check out our article below to learn how to make New York Cheesecake with your frozen cream cheese!
What should I do with Frozen Cheese?
Frozen cream cheese? What do I do? New York Cheesecake!
- Take a bowl of Cream Cheese and let it thaw naturally, then use a glass bowl filled with hot water to place it under the Cream Cheese bowl and mix it at low speed.
- When you feel that the water has become warm and the cream cheese is still granules, so you can heat the water again and continue to mix it.
- After the granules are almost melted, after the hot water becomes warm, you can pass it at high speed, pour in yogurt and stir to make New York Cheesecake.
- Cream Cheese after “heating through water” can only be used to make baked cheesecake, it is not recommended to make other cakes.
How to save Cream Cheese that is not used up?
How to store your cream cheese the right way?
- Blanched the knife with hot water, then divide the Cream Cheese into 4 pieces, each about 250g.
- Wrap it tightly with plastic wrap. (separately, do not put all Cream Cheese into one)
- Put it into a covered container and refrigerate it.
- This method would make your cream cheese last for up to a month!
Did you love this information?
Now your cream cheese won’t go to waste! We hope this useful information will be helpful for you on your baking journey. If you have any baking-related questions or you want to share your experiences with us, feel free to our community group! We are a fun and friendly bunch that loves helping each other when it comes to baking!
In the meantime, if you’re interested in baking, or want to elevate your baking skills a few notches up- head on over here and browse through our baking tips & tricks .