Garlic bread consists of bread, topped with garlic and olive oil or butter and may include additional herbs, such as oregano or chives. It is then either grilled or broiled until toasted or baked in a conventional or bread oven. It’s an easy yet delicious dish for you to eat anytime of the day.
*This recipe suggests using Italian or French bread but you can use regular bread loaves.
Method 1: Toasted Garlic Bread
- Preheat oven to 175°C
Prepare the garlic bread:
- Cut the loaf in half, horizontally. Mix the butter, garlic, and parsley together in a small bowl. Spread butter mixture over the two bread halves.
Heat in oven for 10 min:
- Place on a sturdy baking pan (one that can handle high temperatures, not a cookie sheet) and heat in a 175°C oven for 10 minutes.
Sprinkle with Parmesan (optional) and broil:
- Remove the pan from the oven. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over bread if you want. Return to the oven on the highest rack.
- Remove from the oven, let cool for a minute. Remove from the pan and use a bread knife to cut into 1-inch thick slices. Serve immediately.
Method 2: Soft Garlic Bread
Preheat oven to 175°C
- Make the butter, garlic, parsley mixture as above
Slice the bread and insert butter mixture:
- Make 1-inch thick slices into the bread, but do not go all the way through, just to the bottom crust. Put a teaspoon or two of the butter mixture between each slice, or between every other slice if you only want the garlic mixture on one side of the bread.
Bake the garlic bread:
- Wrap the bread in aluminum foil and heat for 15 minutes in the 175°C oven, until the butter has melted and the bread is warmed.
- To serve, remove from foil and present the loaf wrapped in a clean tea towel. Tear off slices to eat.
Recipe credit: Simply Recipes