Be honest with me. You’ve probably eaten cake rolls in those packets you’d get from the store, and you’ve never had a truly delicious, homemade cake roll right? Don’t fret too much about it, now you’re able to try and make one for yourself and finally get the taste of moist and fluffy Strawberry Cake Roll with this recipe by Jernej Kitchen!
Soft Strawberry Cake Roll Recipe
- On a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. As the butter melts, continue to cook it for 3 to 4 minutes or until it transforms into light brown colour. Then, remove from the heat and strain it into a bowl before setting it aside to let it cool to room temp.
- Start preheating the oven to 180ºC. Line a parchment paper on a baking tray before greasing the paper with butter. Dust evenly with flour.
- Sift the all-purpose flour into a bowl. Set it aside. With a mixer, beat the sugar, vanilla paste, salt and eggs together for about 6 to 8 minutes until it expands and turns pale.
- With a spatula, fold in the sifted flour earlier until all is combined. Then add in the cooled brown butter and water before stirring until it’s fully incorporated.
- Next, pour the cake batter onto the prepared baking tray. Make sure to spread it evenly with a spatula then transfer it into the oven to bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Once it’s baked, it should look soft and golden brown.
- Now, prepare a damp towel with a parchment paper layer over it. Dust some powdered sugar all over the parchment paper.
- As the cake is baked, gently loosen and remove the cake from the pan before inverting it onto the dusted parchment paper. With a serrated knife, make two shallow horizontal cuts (2-3mm) 2 cm apart on the shorter side of the cake near you.
- While the cake is still hot, use the chance to roll it into a swiss roll. With the damp towel and parchment paper, it’ll help to roll the sponge tightly. Then, place it on a cooling rack and set it aside for 30 minutes.
- Unroll the cake and spread the strawberry jam filling all over the surface before rolling it tightly again and let it chill to room temperature for about 15 to 30 minutes. Once the time is up, top it off with some powdered sugar on top and slice with a knife to serve!
Recipe credit: Jernej Kitchen