Image credit: Sweetest Menu
Made from scratch, this golden Sour Cream Cake is delectably golden. This simple tea cake is incredibly simple to make and yields a super fluffy cake. It’s soft, light, and delicious, topped with a thick sour cream frosting. Try making your own sour cream cake with this simple and quick today!
Sour Cream Cake
- Preheat the oven to 180 C standard or 160 C if the oven is fan-forced. Grease and line an 8-inch round baking pan with baking or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. In a separate bowl, add oil, vanilla and egg. Beat briefly with a fork just to break up the egg yolk.
- Add to dry ingredients along with the sour cream and stir to combine. The cake batter will be very thick.
- Transfer cake batter to your cake pan and gently smooth the top. Bake cake for approximately 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool slightly before carefully removing it from the cake pan and leaving it on a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, add butter to a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and sugar and beat slowly until it starts to come together. Add sour cream and continue to beat until smooth.
- Cover the top of the cake with sour cream frosting and serve.
Recipe credit: Sweetest Menu